Dr. habil. Wolfgang Baumann
Powerful analytical methods are at the core of any successful chemical work. Therefore, modern analytical instrumentation is indispensable together with qualified staff. Our Analytical Services thus support the research groups by providing the required methods. The development and adjustment of these methods to specific problems is done in close cooperation with the demanding scientists.
The following methods are available at the moment:
- Chromatography (GC and HPLC)
- Mass spectrometry (MS)
- High-resolution nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)
- Single-crystal X-ray diffraction analysis (XRD)
- Infrared spectroscopy (IR)
- Ultraviolet spectroscopy (UV-Vis)
- Circular Dichroism spectroscopy (CD/ORD)
- Elemental analysis (EA, CHN, XRF, ICP-OES)
- Powder X-ray Diffraction (XRD)
- Electron Microscopy (TEM and REM)
- Electron Spectroscopy (ESCA)
- Determination of characteristic data like BET surface, density, particle size
Particular knowledge has been accumulated in the resolution of enantiomers (by chromatographic techniques) und the nuclear magnetic resonance of transition metals.
In situ investigations (at reacting systems) are done in close cooperation with the preparative groups being involved in the respective chemistry. Established techniques encompass UV-Vis- and NMR methods (under pressure as well), we plan to extend our technical abilities also to the usage of infrared spectroscopy.
The analytical service places emphasis on the solid state and surface investigations at real heterogeneous catalysts with the aim to develop structural models from the nanoscopic up to the macroscopic scale.
Some of the expensive analytical machines are operated jointly with the University of Rostock’s Chemistry Department.