Technology Oriented Processes
Dr.-Ing. Udo Armbruster
Key aspects of R&D activities are
- Scientific-technological development of catalysts and technologies aimed at conversion of renewables with the key issues
- Diversification of hydrogen-technology
- Substantial and energetic use of bio-oil
- Catalytic gas-phase processes for producing organic carbonates
- Innovative concepts for catalytic air pollution control
Normal-pressure flow reactors, test units for monoliths, medium (up to 2.5 MPa) and high pressure (up to 35 MPa) equipment (the latter for use of super-critical fluids like water, carbon dioxide and ammonia) are available for research work on gaseous and liquid media, including multi-phase catalysis. The equipment is completed by sophisticated analytical methods and benefits from the in-house analytical network of the LICAT.
Projects are carried out within the framework of bilateral cooperation with companies as well as within the framework of public founding from BMBF, DFG or the EU.
Examples of successful projects are
- Steam reforming of glycerin for hydrogen generation
- Catalytic etherification of gylcerol